Certified Professional Bird Trainer - Knowledge Assessed
To begin your certification process please study the recommended reading list below. Dates of examinations, detailed requirements, and the application form are available from the PTC web site together with the Candidates Handbook.
For candidates wishing to make their application online please follow this link.
Registering to take the examinations is a simple process:
- Complete the application form and pay the fee to PTC.
- Once your application is processed PTC will send you a confirmation number.
- Follow the instructions from PTC to find a testing center near your location.
- Call the testing center to make your examination appointment.
- Go to the testing center at the appointed time and pass the examination!
The IATCB has prepared a suggested reference list to assist in preparing for the Certification Examination for Professional Bird Trainers. These references contain journals, textbooks, and articles which include information of significance to professional bird trainers. This list does not attempt to include all acceptable references nor is it suggested that the Certification Examination for Professional Bird Trainers is necessarily based only on these references.
IAATE Veterinary Care Position Statement
IAATE Collection Planning Position Statement
IAATE Food Management and Weight Management Position Statement
IAATE Tethering Position Statement
IAATE Enrichment Position Statement
IAATE Educational Messaging Position Statement
IAATE Housing Position Statement
IAATE Code of Professional Ethics
IAATE Free Flight for Programs Position Statement
- American Association of Zoos and Aquariums. http://www.aza.org/.
- Arent, Lori. 2007. Raptors in Captivity: Guidelines for Care and Management. Hancock House Publishers, Surrey, BC V3S 9R9 Canada. ISBN13: 978-0-88839-613-6. http://www.hancockhouse.com/.
- Avian Web. http://www.avianweb.com/
- Chance, Paul. 2009. Learning and Behavior. Wadsworth, Cengage Learning, Belmont, CA, USA. ISBN10: 0-495-09564-8, ISBN13: 978-0-495-09564-4.
- Duncan, James R. 2003. Owls of the World: Their Lives, Behavior, and Survival. Firefly Books, Buffalo, NY, USA.
- Fox, Nick. 1995. Understanding the Bird of Prey. Hancock House Publishers, Surrey, BC M4P 1M7 Canada. ISBN: 0-88839-317-2.
- Fairhurst GD, Frey MD, Reichert JF, Szelest I, Kelly DM, et al. (2011) Does Environmental Enrichment Reduce Stress? An Integrated Measure of Corticosterone from Feathers Provides a Novel Perspective. PLoS ONE 6(3):e17663. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017663.
- Friedman, S.G. and Brinker, B. The Facts About Punishment. 2001. Original Flying Machine (4) Jan./Feb. http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/The%20Facts%20About%20Punishment%202001.pdf.
- Friedman, Susan. 2002. Alternatives to Breaking Parrots: Reducing Aggression and Fear through Learning. StopPDD Conference. http://www.behaviorworks.org/htm/articles_behavior_change.html
- Friedman, S.G. 2004. Straight Talk about Parrot Behavior. StopPDD Conference. http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/Straight%20Talk%20About%20Behavior.pdf.
- Friedman, S.G. 2005. He Said, She Said, Science Says. Good Bird Magazine 1(1). http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/He%20Said,%20She%20Said,%20Science%20Says.pdf
- Ham, S.H. 1992. Environmental Interpretation: A Practical Guide for People with Big Ideas and Small Budgets. Fulcrum Books, Golden, CO, USA. ISBN: 1-55591-902-2. http://www.fulcrum-books.com/
- Heidenreich, Barbara. 2011. Managing the Deliverance of Food to Create Motivation. www.GoodBirdInc.com. http://www.goodbirdinc.com/professional-articles-managing-food.html
- Knudson, D.M., Cable, T.T., and Beck, L. 2003. Interpretation of Cultural and Natural Resources, 2nd Ed. Venture Publishing, Inc., State College, PA, USA. ISBN: 1-892132-39-7.
- Malina, C. and Martin, S. 2003. The Mouse That Went Down the Hole. Psychological Appetite: Nature’s Training Tool. IAATE Conference, Portland OR, Feb. 2003.
- Martin, Steve. 2011. What’s the Motivation? http://naturalencounters.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WhatsTheMotivation.pdf
- Naisbitt, R., and Holz, P. 2004. Captive Raptor: Management and Rehabilitation. Hancock House Publishing Ltd., Surrey, BC V3S 9R9, Canada. ISBN-10: 088839490X; ISBN-13: 978-0888394903. http://www.hancockhouse.com/
- National Association for Interpretation (NAI). 2009. Standards and Practices for Interpretive Methods. http://www.interpnet.com/docs/BP-Methods-Jan09.pdf.
- National Association for Interpretation (NAI). 2006. Definitions Project. http://www.definitionsproject.com/definitions/index.cfm.
- Ramirez, Ken, Editor. 1999. Animal Training: Successful Animal Management through Positive Reinforcement. John G. Shedd Aquarium, Chigo, IL, USA. ISBN: 0-9611074-9-9.
- Pryor, Karen. 2002. Don’t Shoot the Dog: The New Art of Teaching and Training. Random House Publishing, New York, NY, USA. ISBN: 0-553-38039-7.
- Tilden, Freeman. 1977. Interpreting our Heritage. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, USA. ISBN: 0-8078-4016-5.